Who wants to store fat bowl? Do you know anyone? I am sure you won’t find any volunteer to carry such bowls.
The largest organ of the human body, Liver, helps in both the digestion of foods and detoxification of human body wastes.
Having a small amount of fat in the liver is fine. But, it should not be turned fatty. With ignorance, over time, some people go on to develop a more serious version of liver disease, known as nonalcoholic steatohepatitis or NASH. Those who develop NASH may also have a threat to develop liver cancer or its worst form called as end-stage liver disease.
Here are the hacks for controlling fatty liver.
- Time to calculate your waist circumference
Yes, I would like to remind you to put a check on the waist to hip ratio (WHR). The trimmer your waistline, better would be the weight control.
Since obesity has a direct role in fatty liver, You better check on your weight.
As per the world health organization, a healthy WHR for women is under 0.85 and for men is 0.90 or less.
2. Check for liver enzymes levels
Elevated liver enzymes are a sign of liver inflammation. If your blood test shows elevated levels of liver enzymes- alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST), It’s the first sign to get cautious and take an opinion from your doctor.
3. Alcohol and red meat lovers need to be careful
If red meat, hard drinks or alcohol are part of your most of the days, You must ping your doctor and nearby blood test lab often. Early detection and prevention are worth in case of inflammation or disease related to the liver.
4. The best diet that works for liver
The plant-based diet works profoundly.
- Limit foods that add empty calories- aerated drinks, cola, bakery food items.
- Restrict saturated fats intake from sources like red meat, butter, cheese etc.
- Limit salty crackers & snacks and top salt in food.
- Go crazy with grapes. The presence of antioxidants in grapes carries anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing liver damage.
- Understand the power of blue: include enough of berries, beet and broccoli in the diet.
The presence of phytonutrients and antioxidants in them help support liver detoxification.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids supplementation
Enough research studies have been done on the effective role of omega-3 for reducing the level of fat in the liver.
Vegetarian source: Flax, chia, walnut
Non-vegetarian source: Seafood, Cod liver oil, fortified eggs
Contribute: Do write to us about any wellness program in your company that has led to noticeable gains for your employees, at firstname.lastname@example.org